Thursday 21 August 2014

"About"

It is amazing to already see some of the changes that Google is making with Classroom. The additional features are making organizing my courses this semester much easier. Here are three things that I am pleased to see today.

First, the "About" page for each course provides an easy way for me to add all of the first-day-boring-waste-of-paper sheets that students are required to have easy access to. Also, the "About" page allows students quick access to a centralized G-Drive folder and my email address. This makes life much simpler.

Second, my Google admin created a course so that I could see a course from the student side (a function that should be built in to classroom, much like Blogger's ability to "view blog"). On the student page it looks to be one click on a classmates name will allow you to send them an email. This should greatly improve communication and collaboration in the class.

Third, when posting an announcement to a Classroom, you can choose to post that announcement to as many or as few of the Classrooms that you are running. For me this means that if there is an alternate schedule for the day, a reminder of a special day at school, or a need to let students know I am going to be absent, this can all be done with one announcement instead of having to update each Classroom individually. Very pleased.

More to come, including what I think is still missing from Classroom by Google.

No comments:

Post a Comment